Needham Market was a category B Nodal Point (later refered to as "Defended Place"), on the 1940 Stop Line D in Suffolk. It was defended by "B" Company, 7th Battlion Suffolk Home Guard. The map of the defences below probably dates from 1942 or 1943 as the defences are well developed. The River Gipping acted as a natural obstacle. Anti-tank minefields were to be laid on "Stand To" as an additional obstacle. The "Keep", situated to the north of the town, contained both the Battlion and Company HQ as well as the Invasion Committee HQ and was surrounded by a wire obstacle.